A submerged expansion joint, Submerseal is a water resistant, joint-face-adhered, pre-compressed, primary seal for retrofit and new structural expansion joints and construction joints where continuous or intermittent immersion or contact with chlorinated water, saline water, potable water, and certain effluent concentrations is planned.

Featuring an arched silicone-bellows sealing surface and backed by an integral, pressure-resisting impregnated foam backing, Submerseal provides a lasting solution to joint sealing applications where constant exposure to water is expected.

How it works

The system is comprised of pre-compressed, silicone-and-impregnated-foam hybrid sealant installed into field-applied epoxy adhesive on the joint faces with the silicone bellows locked to the joint faces with a field-applied silicone sealant band and corner bead.


+25% and -25% (Total 50%) of nominal material size.

Features and Benefits

  • Head of Water: For submerged applications this product has been tested in a hydrostatic-head pressure simulator to continuously resist water pressure of various levels without leaking. Reference the table and/or consult EMSEAL for application-specific conditions.
  • Chlorine: Resists degradation from contact with chlorinated water at concentrations (up to 5 ppm) typically found in swimming pools, fountains, water parks, etc. including normal and intermittent maintenance “shock” concentrations.
  • Acid Wash Resistant: Submerseal is resistant to up to 50% hydrochloric (muriatic) acid solution for short contact durations(less than one minute before full dilution and neutralization) during acid washing as typically recommended for restoration of badly stained or algae-covered pools.
  • NSF 61 Compliant: Compliant to NSF/ANSI Standard 61 for contact with potable drinking water and with FDA Regulation CFR 177.2600 for indirect contact with food.
  • Non-Invasive Anchoring: There are no hard metal-to-substrate connections with Submerseal. This includes embedded pins, anchors, screws, bolts or tracks, trays or rails. The system is locked to the joint faces by means of the 1) backpressure of the foam; 2) the epoxy adhesive, and 3) the field-injected silicone sealant band and corner bead at the joint face to foam-and-silicone bellows interface.
Image of Submerseal®
Immersed expansion joint for pools water features fountains Submerseal from EMSEAL
swimming pool expansion joint repair Fort Hood Submerseal EMSEAL
SASK Power Uses SUBMERSEAL from EMSEAL for Dam Expansion Joints e1485114629787
Contact Us Today
+27 (011) 425 3061 7 Hills Street, Rynfield
Benoni, 1501
South Africa

Company Reg: 1992/009387/23